Thursday, April 23, 2009

Day 12: Temptation is life!

This morning I got through my stall (damn cookie) and I lost 1 pound (188.0)! So very happy. I was worried the cookie was going to ruin my chances forever!

However the past two days have been a lesson in temptation. Yesterday my pantry was really getting low and I decided I had to slay the dragon and just go to the grocery store. Going there felt like I was a crack addict hanging out with my drug dealer and saying "no thanks, I'm good." While I have been trying hard to feed my kids the healthy food I am eating, its not fair for them to have to restrict themselves so much. So I got them all the usual things, but I found myself feeling a sense of loss because I wanted to prepare my regular meals and feed them to myself and my kids. I still purchased the items but I felt like I was missing out.


The store took a long time and when we left it was 7:20 pm. I didn't want to feed my kids at 8:30 pm so I decided to return to an old friend and get McDonalds for my family. I was so scared to go. I ordered my kids their food and got ready to meet the biggest temptation of all... french fries. Then something surprising happened. I got the food and as the bag passed my face I realized that it really didn't smell very good at all. My body was actually rejecting this???!!! I was so happy. I didn't even touch the fries or burgers. It was hard to go back to the house and make myself something to eat but I did it!


Todays temptation was hard too. I have class from 4-10pm with an hour of drive time on top of that. Usually my classmate and I will stop for food along the way and someone brings dinner to class for everyone. Not anymore. Also today was the last day of class so the amount of food increased. My teacher brought biscotti and chocolate and the dinner was pulled pork sandwiches, pasta salads and fruit. It was very difficult to sit back and eat my orange roughy fish and tomatoes, but I did it!!!


What the past two days have taught me is that no matter what the situation I will be faced with some form of food temptation, but I also know that I have the power to resist. I CAN DO HARD THINGS!! I hope this optimism lasts and I can resist cheating. This is the longest I have dieted without a major fall off the wagon so I am very proud of myself.

2 comments:

  1. I am proud of you too! This is a new experience, staying on the wagon together, we rock! I kind of like the wagon... why did we always want to get off before? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. just keep swimming, just keep swimming, just keep swimming!

    ReplyDelete